Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spring Fever

    My Cunningham Creek outing was an annual marker of the release of the winter-time tension I regard as spring fever.  This weekend I made another attempt at my first fish of 2011.

    My grandparents have a lake house in a small town in eastern Va.  Every year we make several trips to visit them and our cousins.  Fishing is a major perk here, as the Crappie fishing is excellent.  This time, I only brought along my fly rod--I was going to make my first fish of the year come on the excellent rod I got for my birthday. 

    After two different ponds and three different flies, I finally pulled my first fish from the water--a small bluegill. 

    I usually catch my first fish of the year without knowing it was the first, I guess I'm just not a head counter.  However, I do enjoy setting goals for myself, and after seeing the headline in Field & Stream I thought I'd make it my February mission. 

    My little 3 weight handled a four ounce bluegill beautifully, and I can't wait to try it out on a thirteen inch trout!

No comments :